Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Gashlycrumb 2010


I am a huge fan of the late writer & artist Edward Gorey (you might recognize his art from the opening titles of the PBS show Mystery). Wikipedia says: "Gorey's illustrated (and sometimes wordless) books, with their vaguely ominous air and ostensibly Victorian and Edwardian settings, have long had a cult following"-& I am a devout follower. So I am always glad to find a fellow fan, as I did today in the author Carolyn Parkhurst.

One of my favorite Gorey books is the gloriously macabre Gashlycrumb Tinies (I have a poster of it in my house & frequently wear the matching T-shirt)-you can view it online here, from "A is for Amy who fell down the stairs" to "Z is for Zillah who drank too much gin". Carolyn Parkhurst has updated Gorey's words for 2010. Read her version here, from "A is for Avery, whose Wii was miswired" to "Z is for Zuma, who died of the snark" & see how you think her version compares.

No comments: