I have probably mentioned this before, but I have been a follower of the Booker Prize since I read my first prizewinner, Keri Hulme's The Bone People, in high school. Every year I am on tenterhooks as first the longlist is announced, then the shortlist, & finally the winner!
This year's Man Booker Dozen (must be like a baker's dozen-there are 13 books) was announced on July 27th:
- Peter Carey, Parrot and Oliver in America
- Emma Donoghue, Room
- Helen Dunmore, The Betrayal
- Damon Galgut, In a Strange Room
- Howard Jacobson, The Finkler Question
- Andrea Levy, The Long Song
- Tom McCarthy, C
- David Mitchell, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
- Lisa Moore, February
- Paul Murray, Skippy Dies
- Rose Tremain, Trespass
- Christos Tsiolkas, The Slap
- Alan Warner, The Stars in the Bright Sky
For more information on the Man Booker Prize, head to their website. A shortlist of six will be announced on September 7th and the winner will be revealed on October 12th.