Saturday, September 17, 2011

¡I ♥ Globalquerque!

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to last night's ¡Globalquerque!, New Mexico's annual celebration of world music & culture.  Wow!  I just kept asking myself, "Why haven't I ever attended this event before?"

For two nights, last night & tonight, the National Hispanic Cultural Center is taken over by this festival.  Each night, ten bands from all over the world play on three different stages (I'm happy to say I caught 9 out of 10 of last night's bands, though some, regretably, only for a song or two).  There is a Global Village, with vendors featuring international food & crafts (I heard the pad thai was amazing, but I had already eaten).

During the day today, there is a FREE Global Fiesta, featuring poetry, workshops with some of the performers (based on last night's show, I would be at South Pacific Dances with Te Vaka & West African Dances with Burkina Electric if I didn't have to work!), an art exhibit, an International Game Zone, & more!

Run, don't walk, to tonight's ¡Globalquerque! events!  It was such fun-just like a big party, with people dancing in the aisles, kids running around, everybody having a good time.  If you are a world music fan, you won't want to miss it!  Tonight you can sample the stylings of:

Burkina Electric (Burkina Faso)
DePedro (Spain)
Frigg (Finland/Norway)
Gaida (Syria)
Frank McCulloch y Sus Amigos (New Mexico)
La Excelencia (New York)
Nawal (Comoros)
Buffy Sainte-Marie (Cree)
Te Vaka (New Zealand/South Pacific)
Cedric Watson & Bijou Creole (Louisiana)

Here's a sample from Te Vaka, one of my favorite acts from last night! Even groggy after their 18 hour plane ride, they put on a mesmerizing show!



Don't forget to visit our New Music LibGuide to check out all the library system's world music offerings!

1 comment:

¡Globalquerque! said...

Thanks for coming out and checking out the festival and your kind words!

tom (co-founder and co-producer , ¡Globalquerque!)