Saturday, August 16, 2014

YA Series Books Worth Reading


It seems like these days, when a young adult book is published, chances are that it will be the first book in a series. Even books that seem like they won't be part of a series end up as a series or as having companion novels (Nantucket Blue, for example). With all the series that come out, it can be hard to decide what to read. Should I read a trilogy, like The Hunger Games, since I'm only committing to three books, or do I want to take the plunge and read a longer series, like Pretty Little Liars, and commit to sixteen books?

To help, I've narrowed the field down to my favorite YA series books--the must-read books out of all the YA series. Since there are plenty of YA series that I haven't read but that are popular, I'm also including a list of the series books I most want to read but haven't gotten to yet. In both categories, I'm skipping Twilight, The Hunger Games, and Divergent, and focusing instead on series that are popular, but maybe not as popular.

Must-Read YA Series

The Chemical Garden trilogy by Lauren DeStefano
The Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa
Ruby Oliver by E. Lockhart
Jasper Dent by Barry Lyga
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
The Lying Game by Sara Shepard
The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Series to Add to Your To-Read List

Graceling Realm by Kristin Cashore
Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
Defy by Sara B. Larson

  • Defy
  • Ignite (expected publication: 2015)

Legend by Marie Lu


Newsoul by Jodi Meadows


The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

Is there anything you would add to these lists? Anything you would take off the lists? Let us know if the comments!

No comments: