It seems like these days, when a young adult book is published, chances are that it will be the first book in a series. Even books that seem like they won't be part of a series end up as a series or as having companion novels (Nantucket Blue, for example). With all the series that come out, it can be hard to decide what to read. Should I read a trilogy, like The Hunger Games, since I'm only committing to three books, or do I want to take the plunge and read a longer series, like Pretty Little Liars, and commit to sixteen books?
To help, I've narrowed the field down to my favorite YA series books--the must-read books out of all the YA series. Since there are plenty of YA series that I haven't read but that are popular, I'm also including a list of the series books I most want to read but haven't gotten to yet. In both categories, I'm skipping Twilight, The Hunger Games, and Divergent, and focusing instead on series that are popular, but maybe not as popular.
Must-Read YA Series
The Chemical Garden trilogy by Lauren DeStefano
- The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver
- The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them
- The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon--and Me, Ruby Oliver
- Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver
- The First Lie (novella; #0.5)
- The Lying Game
- Two Truths and a Lie
- Never Have I Have Ever
- Hide and Seek
- Cross My Heart, Hope to Die
- True Lies (novella; #5.5)
- Seven Minutes in Heaven
Series to Add to Your To-Read List
Graceling Realm by Kristin Cashore
- Ignite (expected publication: 2015)
Legend by Marie Lu
Newsoul by Jodi Meadows
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
Is there anything you would add to these lists? Anything you would take off the lists? Let us know if the comments!