Saturday, June 6, 2015

Reading Challenge: Summer Edition


Now that summer is almost here and the summer reading program has officially started, I'm rethinking my to be read (TBR) list. It's a lengthy list, and it's not likely that I'll ever get to all the books on the list, considering I have over 100 books at home to read (and that's not counting any of the books I want to buy or any of the books I have on hold!).

One thing I like to do during the summer is mix up what I read, so instead of reading just young adult fiction, I might try a genre within young adult that I don't usually read, and I add some adult non-fiction into the mix. I also try to read more award-winning books and award nominees. I don't always like to give myself a set list of the exact books I'll read during the summer, because what I want to read often changes depending on what I'm in the mood for, but here are the books I'm going to try to get through:

El Deafo by Cece Bell: I don't usually read graphic novels, but I've been wanting to try more of them, and I love the diversity this book has. El Deafo was also named a 2015 Great Graphic Novel for Teens by the Young Adult Library Services Association.

Absolutely Almost by Lisa Graff:  I don't read as much middle grade fiction as I'd like, so I want to pick this one up sometime this summer. The Association for Library Service to Children named this as a 2015 Notable Children's Book.

Ensnared by A.G. Howard: This book is the final book in a trilogy that I adore.

Half a Chance by Cynthia Lord: This is another middle grade book that I want to get to this summer.

My Life With the Walter Boys by Ali Novak: Even though I love contemporary fiction, this book wasn't on my TBR list, but it's another nominee for the Teens' Top Ten award. I've also been hearing really good things about it, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin: Gretchen Rubin writes non-fiction for adults. I loved her first book, The Happiness Project, and I'm really looking forward to reading Better Than Before. Non-fiction for adults is a great way for me to balance out all the young adult fiction I read.

The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson: I've had this series sitting on my shelf for at least two years. At the time I bought it, I thought it was only a four-book series, but Sanderson has written more since then. I don't normally read fantasy novels, and I don't normally read adult fiction, so these books will really push me out of my comfort zone this summer. I'm only going to try reading the first four, since those are the only ones I own.

Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson: This is another graphic novel. I'll be reading it with a couple of my co-workers, and I'm looking forward to it.

Analyzing Mad Men: Critical Essays on the Television Series edited by Scott F. Stoddart: I just started binge watching Mad Men, and I love it. One of my coworkers recommended that I read some of the books based on/inspired by the TV show, and what better place to start than a book that has essays about the show?

One important thing I've learned about doing reading challenges is that it's okay for my list to change, and it's okay if I don't finish a book on the list. The point isn't necessarily to finish every single book, even the ones I don't like. The point is to try reading things I might otherwise read, because I never know when I'll discover a new author or book that I love.

Do you do any reading challenges in the summer, whether it's an official challenge or just something you do on your own (like mine)? Tell me about them in the comments!

No comments: