Saturday, July 18, 2015

What to Do When You're Burnt Out on YA


I love reading young adult fiction, so much so that for the past several years, I've read it almost exclusively. My to-read list of YA is gigantic (well over 500 titles), and I'm constantly adding to it.

But recently, I finished a YA novel and thought, "I've had enough of this."

I never thought I would get burnt out on reading YA, but that's exactly where I'm at right now. I'm not sure why, but right now, I've had more than my fill of reading about teens and kids. I'm not sure when I'll pick up another YA book, but it's safe to say that it won't be for a while.

So, what do you do when you're burnt out on YA? I immediately turned to non-fiction, and added the following books to my to-read list.


Then I thought I'd like to try some adult fiction, too, which has never been my favorite thing to read, so I added these books to my to-read list.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Both of the above lists are just small samples of what I added to my to-read list.

Then, over the weekend, my sister texted me with a reading challenge. For the next year, we have selected specific themes for each month, and we will only read books that fall into those themes. Some of the themes we came up with: non-fiction, scary stories, history (both non-fiction and historical fiction), literary classics, poetry and short stories, and childhood favorites. I'm excited for this challenge, because it'll help me read books outside of what I usually read, and I can throw in the occasional young adult book, which means maybe I'll be able to get over my slump and ease back into reading YA.

What do you do when you're burnt out on reading your favorite genre or category? Let me know in the comments!

No comments: