Saturday, January 15, 2011

Falling into a Series Relationship

Library Journal had a great article back in November called "Falling into a Series Relationship: Six Top Mysteries". I say great, probably because I agree with their choices: Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series (I love Richard Jury & Melrose Plant as characters, even if the writing can sometimes be uneven); Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series; the Adam Dalgliesh books by P.D. James; the Two Pines mysteries by Louise Penny, featuring Armand Gamache. I haven't read anything by Elizabeth Peters or Ruth Downie as yet, but now I'm considering them based on the article's other recommendations!

I love to read books in a series, especially mysteries. I am a real stickler for reading them in chronological order, so Fictfact has been a really useful tool for me. Here's a sampling of the many series I'm wading through, as viewed on Fictfact:

Another good source for mysteries is the site Stop, You're Killing Me. This site has many great features, include links to lists of the latest mystery award winners & a great selection of indexes-location, job, historical, diversity, genre. I tend to like mysteries from the British Isles & Police Procedurals. One of my co-workers is a Cozy Mystery fan, with an emphasis on Food & Drink or Crafts & Needlework. What's your poison, so to speak?

If you are a mystery reader, three of the ABC Libraries' branches have book groups that focus on mysteries-Main has The Wide World of Mystery book group, Tony Hillerman has the Who Dunnit? Mystery Book Club & there's also the Mystery Book Group at Cherry Hills Library.

No comments: