Enter a world where genetic engineering began in the Victorian Era, world-changing devices are introduced almost daily, and an explorer and poet form an unlikely partnership to counter unlikely threats to the public good.
"Sir Richard Francis Burton--explorer, linguist, scholar, and swordsman; his reputation tarnished; his career in tatters; his former partner missing and probably dead.
Algernon Charles Swinburne--unsuccessful poet and follower of de Sade; for whom pain is pleasure, and brandy is ruin!
The two men are sucked into the perilous depths of this moral and ethical vacuum when Lord Palmerston commissions Burton to investigate assaults on young women committed by a weird apparition known as Spring Heeled Jack, and to find out why werewolves are terrorizing London's East End.
The Burton & Swinburne series:
1. The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack (2010)
2. The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man (2011)
3. Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (2012)
Readers may also enjoy these other steampunk works:
- Gail Carriger - Parasol Protectorate series. Cheeky, saucy fun in an alternate Victorian London where werewolves control the Army, vampires are Lords, and ghosts and amazing machinery are commonplace.
- Steven Harper - Clockwork Empire series
- George Mann - Newbury & Hobbes Investigation series
- Mike Resnick - The Doctor and the Kid: A Weird West Tale. Doc Holliday up against Billy the Kid, with Thomas Edison supplying wondrous technology!