Sunday, November 1, 2009

Book on the Side: Dreamers of the Day Wrap-up


So, are you all finished reading Dreamers of the Day? Did you like it? Dislike it? How did you feel about the characters? The plot? Do you like historical fiction that includes real people as characters? (I was at a book group recently where they were not fans of figures from history as fictionalized characters.)

Once again, here's a link to some discussion questions. Let us know what you think of the book or your Book on the Side experience! Don't forget to vote for November's Book on the Side!

1 comment:

donnaj said...

I have to confess that I did not finish the novel, but not for lack of trying. I thoroughly enjoyed the first part of the book where Agnes talks about growing up in America in the period before the first World War. It was heartening to read how cities had progressed from streets full of squalor to some semblance of what we called a normal life at one time. Many of her descriptions of city and small town life made me yearn for an America we once had, but because of the consumption nation we have become that is nothing but a pipe dream. I am not sure why I didn't want to read beyond her arrival in Egypt, but found myself becoming disinterested after she meets Lawrence and Gertrude Bell. Was it because I hear about the Middle East so much on the news, that I just didn't want to immerse myself in it for reading pleasure? Possibly. For whatever reason, I am hoping I can get past it someday and finish it.