Monday, November 22, 2010

Living French


I am wellnigh obsessed with France. I like to read about France, watch French movies, & listen to French music. If only I spoke French, my life would be complete. (Someday, maybe I'll actually take a class at Alliance Française d'Albuquerque.) In the meantime, here are some of the France-related items that have helped me maintain my joie de vivre.



Books about France
Almost French: Love And A New Life In Paris by Sarah Turnbull

Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl by Debra Ollivier

C'est La Vie: An American Conquers the City of Light, Begins a New Life, and Becomes-Zut Alors!-Almost French by Suzy Gershman

Bringing Home the Birkin: My Life in Hot Pursuit of the World's Most Coveted Handbag by Michael Tonello (technically not about France, but the Birkin bag is by Hermès, a French high fashion house)

Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't be Wrong: (Why We Love France but Not the French) by Jean-Benoît Nadeau and Julie Barlow

French by Heart: An American Family's Adventures in La Belle France by Rebecca S. Ramsey



Books by the French
French Women Don't Get Fat byMireille Guiliano

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

I Wish Someone were Waiting for Me Somewhere by Anna Gavalda

Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky



French movies
Summer Hours

Man on Wire

Séraphine

Paris

I've Loved You So Long

Tell No One

Persepolis

Paris, Je T'Aime

La Vie en Rose


2 Days in Paris

The Page Turner

Avenue Montaigne


French music
One Step Forward
by Les Nubians

Comic Strip by Serge Gainsbourg

Dimanche à Bamako by Amadou & Mariam (they are from Mali, but sing mostly in French)


For Kids of All Ages

Also consider the Asterix & Tintin graphic novels; both are translated from the French.

No comments: