Sunday, November 7, 2010

Science Corner

I confess, I'm not much for science. You've probably noticed that science & math don't much feature in this blog. Well, I'd like to remedy that. I don't exactly have the background to go in-depth, but I thought the occasional foray might be appreciated, so here goes!

A co-worker of mine has recommended The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe by Theodore Gray. He says that he often feels that in science classes, they teach you about the periodic table so fast, you don't really get a feeling for everything that the elements do & the history of the elements. He recommends this read for anyone wanting to learn more in-depth about the elements. Also consider the new Stephen Hawking book, The Grand Design; The Pleasure of Finding Things Out: The Best Short Works of Richard P. Feynman; & Rosalind Franklin: The Dark Lady of DNA by Brenda Maddox.

For the kids, I'd like to share a couple of recipes other co-workers have recommended: Slime (made from Borax & Elmer's Glue) & Oobleck (as in Bartholomew & the Oobleck by Dr. Seuss). I guess these might have been more timely had I introduced them before Halloween, but is there really a right or a wrong time to make slime? Also, if you need to entertain a child who loves science, the system has many science experiment books for kids of all ages!

No comments: