Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Browsing the Shelf: Personal Appearance & Poets Ranked by Beard Weight

Some of my favorite books have been discovered by browsing the stacks.  Sometimes I find myself in an unusual section (this probably happens more to me than the average customer, since I am in the library all the time,  but bear with me), I spy an intriguing title, & I start to explore the books around it.  That's how I found myself  in the 390s (Customs, etiquette, folklore in the Dewey Decimal classification system) & particularly immersed in the 390s (Costume & personal appearance). Here's a list of some of the most interesting titles that I found between call numbers 391.413 - 391.64!


Poets Ranked By Beard Weight: The Celebrated Edwardian Classic by Upton Uxbridge Underwood

The Dirt on Clean : An Unsanitized History by Katherine Ashenburg

Hair: Public, Political, Extremely Personal by Diane Simon

The Roots of Desire: The Myth, Meaning, and Sexual Power of Red Hair by Marion Roach

Rapunzel's Daughters: What Women's Hair Tells Us About Women's Lives by Rose Weitz

Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty by Nancy Etcoff

Inventing Beauty: A History of the Innovations that Have Made Us Beautiful by Teresa Riordan

The OddShoeFinder.com Shoe Wearer's Handbook by Clare Barron and Kent Basson

Women from the Ankle Down: The Story of Shoes and How They Define Us by Rachelle Bergstein

The Apron Book: Making, Wearing, and Sharing a Bit of Cloth and Comfort by EllynAnne Geisel




Even if the library is closed, you can get lost in the stacks using the online catalog!  If you are looking in a book's record, click on the call number (in the Location - Call # - Status table), & the catalog will display "Nearby Call Nos" for you to browse at will.


No comments: