Saturday, April 12, 2014

Poetry Month: Young Adult Verse Novels

I love poetry. As a result, I like to read young adult verse novels, even though I don't always enjoy them. In celebration of National Poetry Month, I thought I would share my favorite young adult verse novels, as well as my favorite young adult novels that incorporate poetry in some way.



The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders is the book that got me interested in poetry. The Robert Frost poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" plays a somewhat large role in the book, and when I first read it, I fell in love with it and with poetry.

Golden by Jessi Kirby

Golden also plays with Robert Frost's "Nothing Gold Can Stay," but even more than that, its inspiration comes from the Mary Oliver poem "The Summer Day." Throughout the book, Parker Frost tries to determine what it is she will do with her one wild and precious life, after reading the line "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" from Mary Oliver's poem.

And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard

And We Stay is about a girl, Emily, who loves Emily Dickinson, but who is also a poet herself. Emily (the character, not Emily Dickinson) writes poems that are presented throughout the story.

Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara

Amy McNamara is a poet, in addition to a young adult fiction writer. The title Lovely, Dark and Deep is taken directly from a Robert Frost poem, "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening." Even though it's written in prose, McNamara's book reads much like poetry.

Audition by Stasia Ward Kehoe

Audition isn't the first young adult verse novel I've read, but it was the first one I read that I actually loved. Because it's about ballet, there was something about the musical aspect that tied in really well with the poetry in the book.

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

This is the other young adult verse novel that I love. Unlike most verse novels I've read, I felt like The Day Before really played with poetic elements. On top of that, the story was great, and lent itself well to verse.

There are plenty of other young adult verse novels in the library catalog. Some popular authors to check out are Ellen Hopkins, Lisa Schroeder, Micol Ostow, and Nikki Grimes.

No comments: