Saturday, March 11, 2017

Celebrating 50 Years of Young Adult Novels


2017 marks the fifty year anniversary of the young adult novel. The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton, was published in 1967 and is widely considered to be the first young adult novel.

In celebration, here are my top fifty young adult novels. I created the list based on the books I've given four and five-star ratings to on Goodreads, and I narrowed that list down to the books that have had the largest emotional impact on me over the years. This list will change over time, of course, as more YA novels are published.


Perfect Escape by Jennifer Brown
The Siren by Kiera Cass
The Reader by Traci Chee
Leverage by Joshua C. Cohen
Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira


Caraval by Stephanie Garber


Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin
None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio


Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas
The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard


Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard
Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston
Golden, In Honor, and Moonglass by Jessi Kirby


Things We Know By Heart by Jessi Kirby
Boy Meets Boy by David LevithanTwo Boys Kissing by David Levithan
When We Collided by Emery Lord


How It Went Down by Kekla Magoon
Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson


Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven


Underwater by Marisa Reichardt
A List of Cages by Robin Roe
The Girls of No Return by Erin Saldin


Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone

Bonus: After I made my list, I read a young adult book that should absolutely have been in my top 50.




What books are on your list? Let us know in the comments!

No comments: