Saturday, May 7, 2016

April in Review


Welcome to the second edition of my months in review. I was busy in April! Here's what I read last month.

Girl Last Seen by Heather Anastasiu

I didn't love this book. It had potential, but the story was incredibly similar to Gone Girl--so now I'm pitching it as Gone Girl for teens. I feel like if I hadn't read Gone Girl, I might of liked Girl Last Seen, but for me, it was just okay.

Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend by Alan Cumyn

I don't know what to say about this book other than when I finished reading, I had no idea what I had just read. Is it satire? I can't tell. It feels like it in some places, but in other places, it doesn't. At any rate, the Goodreads reviews are more fun to read than the book was. It's too bad, because the title is pretty awesome; I wish the book had been just as good.

Hour of the Bees by Lindsay Eagar

So, Hour of the Bees. I love that it's set in New Mexico. I don't love how the author described New Mexico, since she was just so wrong about so many things (she's from Utah). That being said, I enjoyed the story, but the incorrect details of landscape, Albuquerque, and other things were hard for me to let go of. This book is getting rave reviews, though, and I'd say it's worth a read, despite the inaccuracies.

Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston

I loved this book. So much. There are so many young adult novels that focus on sexual assault, and what I loved about this one was the strong female friendship (Polly was amazing--everyone should have a friend like her), and I loved the fact that it focused on a character who didn't want to be a victim. This is a fantastic addition to a group of novels that are starting to feel too similar to each other.

Where You'll Find Me by Natasha Friend

This was cute. It wasn't amazing, but I liked it well enough.

Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally

I wanted so much to like this book, but here's the thing with Miranda Kenneally's novels: I'm tired of the Hundred Oaks series. I loved them in the beginning, but now, I'm just bored with them, and I wish she'd write something outside of the series. I can definitely see the appeal of this novel, though; anyone who loves contemporary and romance will probably adore it.

The Borden Murders: Lizzie Bordon and the Trial of the Century by Sarah Miller

I have mixed feelings about this one. My first thought when I was reading this book was, "Some of these descriptions feel a little graphic for middle grade non-fiction." Overall, I enjoyed the story, and while others don't agree with my initial reaction about the book possibly being too graphic, I wouldn't recommend this to sensitive readers.

Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider

This book was so cute. The narrator annoyed me at times, but overall, Summer of Sloane is the perfect beach read.

Buried Child by Sam Shepard

I don't read plays very often, but I've had Buried Child on my list because Sam Shepard is in my favorite movie. Plus, it won a Pulitzer. I was so happy that this play lives up to the hype. I loved every word of it, and I'm looking forward to re-reading it.

Ascending the Boneyard by C.G. Watson

I can't even write what my initial reaction was to Ascending the Boneyard, because it wouldn't be library-appropriate. This book has gotten some great reviews, and the cover copy of it promises a shocking conclusion. I think this is the type of book that you either love or hate, and I hated it. I really only read it because the conclusion was supposed to be so shocking, but by the time I got to the end, all I could think was, "That's it?" That's actually not quite what I thought, but I don't want to give away the ending. I will say, though, that I did feel a little cheated by the ending. I knew while reading this book that it's about a mental illness, but I still feel like the ending is a bit of a cheat.

Our Town by Thornton Wilder

Confession: I just don't get it. Our Town is supposed to be amazing. By the time I finished it, I felt like I was missing something, because I just don't understand what is supposed to be so amazing about it. Maybe I need to actually see it, since plays are meant to be viewed. I'm not really sure. All I know is, whatever that thing is about this play that makes everyone love it wasn't there for me.

I've also done a lot of binge-watching lately. In April, I finally started watching The Walking Dead. Here's the thing: I've never been a fan of zombies. I tried watching The Walking Dead a few years ago, and I made it through the first episode. I disliked Rick Grimes so much that I stopped watching. Maybe a year later, I thought I'd give it another try, with the same result. It wasn't until I watched the first episode for a third time that I finally decided to keep going with it. Of course, now, I'm hooked. I just finished season four, and I'm dreading season five, because I know a few things that happen that I'm not looking forward to. But, I can't wait to get caught up, that way I can start watching season seven when it airs in October.

May's reading theme is biography/memoir/autobiography. Here's what's on my reading list:

You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day
A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
Wouldn't It Be Nice: My Own Story by Brian Wilson

Did you read or watch anything you loved in April? Let us know in the comments!

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Finally got around to watching Invader Zim and LOVED IT! Definitely random funniness.

Read The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I'd never read him before and expected to hate it, and while yes rather easy I enjoyed every moment of reading it.

Also read The Kill Order by James Dashner and hated that (I have found that each Maze Runner book is more frustrating than the last).

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. I was intrigued by this book. I will likely finish the series but, it got a little too focused on the romance for me. I enjoyed aspects of this book and also found myself hating it.

Lastly, I ready The Nine Lives of Chloe King: The Fallen by Celia Thomson/Liz Braswell. Now it was a tv series many years ago and while I don't remember details I do remember enjoying it. But this book, just awful to me. Was kinda half a story. Maybe I can find the tv series and try that again.

Can't wait to hear about the Biographies! If you haven't read it I highly recommend My Booky Wook by Russell Brand. I can't stand the man but found his book to be really enjoyable reading.

Kelly said...

I read an article recently about hate-reading, and The Maze Runner series was discussed in the article (I can't remember right now where I saw the article, otherwise, I'd post the link). I think it's interesting that so many people have struggled with it. I read the first book in the series and liked it well enough to buy the following three books, but since then, I've had no desire to read them. I'll probably end up getting rid of them without ever reading them.

Thanks for the Russell Brand recommendation--I just checked out the ebook!